The following wind farms have public access or viewing areas:
- Brooklyn wind turbine, Wellington, Meridian Energy.
- Te Apiti wind farm, Manawatu, Meridian Energy.
- Hau Nui wind farm, Wairarapa, Genesis Energy.
- West Wind, Wellington, Meridian Energy.
- White Hill wind farm, Southland, Meridian Energy.
Wind farm operators may arrange site visits for school or community groups. To request such a visit please contact the wind farm operator.
Alternatively, if you are a NZ-based teacher or student and you’d like to experience a wind farm, but the distance to travel is too far, why not take a virtual wind power tour with LEARNZ? The wind farm tour is available to all New Zealand teachers registered with the New Zealand Teachers Council and currently teaching in a New Zealand school.
NZWEA also provides a number of fact sheets and other resources to assist developing an understnding of how wind energy works and why renewable electricity generation is important to reduce carbon emissions from the energy sector.
Click here to check out the resources available.